Generic Name and Formulations:
Sapropterin dihydrochloride 100mg; tabs.
Indications for KUVAN:
In conjunction with a phenylalanine (Phe)-restricted diet: To reduce blood Phe levels in hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) due to tetrahydrobiopterin- (BH4-) responsive phenylketonuria (PKU).
Adults and Children:
<1 month: consult manufacturer. Take with food at same time each day. Dissolve tab in 4–8oz water or apple juice (may crush tab) and drink within 15 mins (tab may not completely dissolve). 1 month–6yrs: Initially 10mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response may increase to 20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. ≥7yrs: 10–20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. Usual range 5–20mg/kg per day; adjust based on blood Phe levels.
Monitor blood levels of Phe after 1 week to assess effect, then periodically. Discontinue if anaphylaxis occurs. Maintain Phe-restricted diet. Monitor BP and change in neurologic status. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Enzyme cofactor (BH4).
Caution with drugs that can inhibit folate metabolism (eg, methotrexate), PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), other nitric oxide donors, levodopa; monitor. May potentiate drugs that are P-gp or BCRP substrates.
Headache, rhinorrhea, pharyngolaryngeal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, cough, nasal congestion, gastritis, hypophenylalaninemia, hyperactivity (monitor).
Tabs—120; Packet—1, 30
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd