Labetalol HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Labetalol HCl 5mg/mL; soln for IV inj and infusion after dilution; contains parabens.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Labetalol HCl Injection:
Individualize. Maintain supine position; monitor BP. Repeated IV inj: 20mg over 2 minutes, may give additional 40mg or 80mg at 10 minute intervals up to max total dose of 300mg or until desired supine BP. Slow continuous infusion: 2mg/min (see literature).
Bronchial asthma. Overt cardiac failure. 2nd- or 3rd- degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Severe bradycardia. Other conditions associated with severe and prolonged hypotension. History of obstructive airway disease (eg, asthma).
Ischemic heart disease or failure. Monitor hepatic function: discontinue at first sign of liver injury. If signs of cardiac failure, treat with digitalis or diuretic, discontinue if failure continues. COPD. Pheochromocytoma. Diabetes. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with verapamil. Potentiates hypotension with nitroglycerin. May blunt effects of epinephrine, β-agonist bronchodilators. Avoid alkaline drugs (eg, furosemide) administration in same infusion line. Adjust antidiabetic medication. Potentiated by cimetidine and halothane. Tremor with tricyclic antidepressants. May cause false positive urine test for amphetamine.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker/alpha-1 blocker.
Symptomatic postural hypotension, GI upset, dizziness, increased BUN and serum creatinine, paresthesias, sweating, somnolence, flushing, ventricular arrhythmia, vertigo, pruritus.
Formerly known under the brand names Normodyne, Trandate.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics