An Elevated Value for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
Confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy
Gestational trophoblastic disease Nongestational malignancies
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) tests can be performed using serum or urine.
Urine test is qualitative (yes/no).
Serum test can be qualitative or quantitative.
Serial quantitative measurements of hCG may be useful, especially in suspected ectopic pregnancy, where a low
Low levels of serial serum hCG may identify a spontaneous or threatened abortion.
An insufficient hCG decline after abortion indicates incomplete therapeutic or spontaneous abortion.
Gestational trophoblastic disease: hCG is abnormally high with a high ratio of free beta hCG to total hCG
hCG measurement may also be useful in the diagnosis, prognosis, and management of other tumors, such as testicular tumors.
hCG or a slow rise in the hCG in the absence of an intrauterine sac on ultrasonography suggests an ectopic pregnancy.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Cerebellar Stimulation May Help Improve Gait and Balance Recovery in Stroke
- Hydrocephalus May Be a Complication of Congenital Zika Syndrome
- Psychotherapy May Reduce Frequency of Nonepileptic Seizures
- Can Early Initiation of Direct Oral Anticoagulants Prevent Recurrent AFib-Related Stroke?
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Repeated Botulinum Neurotoxin Type A Injections Increase Antibody Development
- Cortical Thinning in Specific Brain Regions May Be Associated With Migraine
- Daily Fruit/Vegetable Consumption May Prevent Poor Cognitive Function in Men
- Less Deep Sleep in Elderly Tied to Alzheimer Disease Markers
- Private Equity Acquisition of Physician Practices Discussed