Casts in the Urine
Hyaline casts as indicative of:
Chronic renal disease
Congestive heart failure
Red blood cell casts as indicative of:
White blood cell casts as indicative of pyelonephritis
Epithelial cell casts as indicative of renal tubular damage
Granular casts as indicative of:
Stasis of urine flow
Waxy casts as indicative of stasis of urine flow
Fatty casts as indicative of nephrotic syndrome
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum or plasma BUN or creatine is useful to assess general renal function.
If there is a concern for infection, complete blood count (CBC) with white blood cell (WBC) count and differential may be useful.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Multiple System Atrophy: A Common Form of Atypical Parkinsonism
- Migraine Treatment in the ED: Overcoming Our Penchant for Opioids
- Oral Film Formulation of Clobazam Gets FDA Approval for LGS
- Erenumab as a Therapy for Hard to Treat Episodic Migraine
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Biomarkers of Alzheimer Disease Observed in Down Syndrome
- Ocrevus Labeling Updated With New Info on Timing of Vaccine Administration
- Approaches for Better Diagnosis of Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis
- Short Segment Sensory Nerve Stimulation Offers Potential Diagnostic Value for Ulnar Neuropathy
- Incidence of Guillain-Barré Syndrome Linked With Recent Bone, Digestive Organ Surgery
- Pharmacist-Led Effort Cuts Inappropriate Rx in Older Adults