Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Shortcomings in ALS Research: Strategies for Improvement
- Comparing Reference Points for Deep Brain Stimulation Location in Parkinson Disease
- Solanezumab Every 4 Weeks Does Not Significantly Affect Cognitive Decline in Alzheimer Disease
- FDA Approves Clinical Decision Support Tool for Stroke
- Arimoclomol Shows Promise for Treating Rapidly Progressive SOD1 ALS
- CNS Abnormalities Common in Erdheim-Chester Disease
- Trial of Verubecestat for Prodromal Alzheimer Disease Discontinued
- Ischemic Stroke, Myocardial Infarction Both Tied to Lipoproteins, Lipids
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH