Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Odor Discrimination and Identification Linked to Neurodegeneration in MS
- First Generic Version of Sabril Tablets Gets FDA Approval
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Resting-State MEG May Indicate MS-Related Cognitive Decline
- Cortical Thinning in Specific Brain Regions May Be Associated With Migraine
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- What Is the Link Between Migraine and Alcohol?
- Middle-Age White, Black Women May Have Lower Stroke Risk Compared With Men
- Study Explores Influence of Genetics, Environment in Disease
- Cardiometabolic Risk Up With Tourette, Chronic Tic Disorder
- Glasgow Coma, AVPU Scales Have Limited Usability for Assessing Level of Consciousness in Pediatric Head Injury