Low Serum or Plasma Glucose – Hypoglycemia
Reactive hypoglycemia is usually observed in diabetics but also is found in nondiabetics following ingestion of a high-carbohydrate meal.
Pts w/ hypoglycemia caused by an insulin-producing tumor may have signs & symptoms associated w/ malignancy.
For surreptitious insulin injection, seek a history of insulin use or access to insulin.
For excess administration of sulfonylurea drugs, seek a history of use of or access to these drugs.
For impaired liver function, seek clinical evidence of impaired liver function.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood glucose level <50 mg/dL, coincident w/ symptoms that are reversible within 15 to 45 min of the administration of glucose in the absence of cerebral edema
C-peptide level. Pts have high levels of insulin synthesis & secretion of this portion of the pro-insulin molecule should be detectable in the blood at high levels
Elevated blood insulin Surreptitious insulin administration: insulin is elevated but C-peptide level is not because the insulin in the blood was not synthesized from proinsulin in the pt's pancreas.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Multiple System Atrophy: A Common Form of Atypical Parkinsonism
- Migraine Treatment in the ED: Overcoming Our Penchant for Opioids
- Oral Film Formulation of Clobazam Gets FDA Approval for LGS
- Erenumab as a Therapy for Hard to Treat Episodic Migraine
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Biomarkers of Alzheimer Disease Observed in Down Syndrome
- Cardiovascular Autonomic Neuropathy Raises Fall Risk in Parkinson Disease
- No Efficacy Signal for Fluoxetine in EV-D68 Acute Flaccid Myelitis
- One-Third of Peds Medication Errors Due to Usability Issues
- Ocrevus Labeling Updated With New Info on Timing of Vaccine Administration
- Approaches for Better Diagnosis of Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis