Positive Serologic Test for Helicobacter pylori
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For gastric ulcer:
Endoscopy to visualize the ulcer; biopsy of the lesion is recommended to determine if patient has gastric adenocarcinoma.
Rapid urease test of biopsy material (CLO test) verifies the presence of active infection.
For duodenal ulcer disease:
Urea breath test is a sensitive and specific test for detection of active infection without the use of biopsy in patients with uncomplicated duodenal ulcer.
If a biopsy is performed, the CLO test, if positive, verifies the presence of active infection.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Seizure Monitoring Smartwatch Cleared for Use in Children
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Can Early Initiation of Direct Oral Anticoagulants Prevent Recurrent AFib-Related Stroke?
- Online Family Problem-Solving Program May Improve Behavioral Outcomes in Older Children With TBI
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Breakdown of Blood-Brain Barrier May Drive Dementia
- FDA: Food Inspections to Resume Despite Ongoing Funding Lapse
- First Generic Version of Sabril Tablets Gets FDA Approval
- Supine Positioning After Greater Occipital Nerve Block May Improve Outcomes