Positive Serologic Test for Helicobacter pylori
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For gastric ulcer:
Endoscopy to visualize the ulcer; biopsy of the lesion is recommended to determine if patient has gastric adenocarcinoma.
Rapid urease test of biopsy material (CLO test) verifies the presence of active infection.
For duodenal ulcer disease:
Urea breath test is a sensitive and specific test for detection of active infection without the use of biopsy in patients with uncomplicated duodenal ulcer.
If a biopsy is performed, the CLO test, if positive, verifies the presence of active infection.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Multiple System Atrophy: A Common Form of Atypical Parkinsonism
- Migraine Treatment in the ED: Overcoming Our Penchant for Opioids
- Oral Film Formulation of Clobazam Gets FDA Approval for LGS
- Erenumab as a Therapy for Hard to Treat Episodic Migraine
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Biomarkers of Alzheimer Disease Observed in Down Syndrome
- Ocrevus Labeling Updated With New Info on Timing of Vaccine Administration
- Approaches for Better Diagnosis of Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis
- Short Segment Sensory Nerve Stimulation Offers Potential Diagnostic Value for Ulnar Neuropathy
- Incidence of Guillain-Barré Syndrome Linked With Recent Bone, Digestive Organ Surgery
- Pharmacist-Led Effort Cuts Inappropriate Rx in Older Adults