Lewy Body Dementia
Several prodromal symptoms in REM sleep behavior disorder are highly associated with conversion to neurodegenerative diseases.
Zonisamide as an adjunct to levodopa therapy improves parkinsonism in patients with dementia with Lewy bodies.
While parkinsonian disorders share a common mechanism of protein aggregation, manifestations are quite varied.
Patients with multiple system atrophy with parkinsonism face the greatest risk for death among synucleinopathies.
Increasing severity of AD pathology inversely correlated to decreases in time from motor symptoms to dementia onset and death.
Patients with mild cognitive impairment with preserved hippocampal volume are at increased risk for dementia with Lewy bodies vs Alzheimer disease.
According to a 2010 report based on a survey of caregivers of people with DLB, 78% of cases were initially misdiagnosed.
OCT can precisely measure changes to the retinal structure.
Over 60% of people with Parkinson's disease will have REM sleep behavior disorder, endangering them and their partners during the night.
Monoclonal antibodies targeting tau and beta amyloid in Alzheimer's disease may also benefit other neurodegenerative diseases.
The results suggest that specific Alzheimer's therapies may need to be developed to address differences in pathology.
Williams' suicide emphasizes the importance of support for patients with Lewy Body Dementia and their families.
A coroner's report documenting the death of actor Robin Williams revealed that he had Lewy body dementia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics