Lidocaine Ointment Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lidocaine 5%; water miscible.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Lidocaine Ointment:
Anesthesia of oropharyngeal mucosa. Anesthetic lubricant for endotracheal intubation.
Apply up to 6 inches (5g); max 17–20g/day.
<10yrs: apply up to 4.5mg/kg; avoid prolonged use or on large areas.
Sepsis. Traumatized mucosa. Severe shock. Heart block. Monitor for familial malignant hyperthermia (eg, tachycardia, tachypnea). Avoid eyes. Do not eat for 1 hour after oral application. Children, elderly, debilitated, acutely ill: reduce dose. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
CNS effects (eg, dizziness, visual disturbances, tremor, respiratory depression), bradycardia, hypotension.
Formerly known under the brand name Xylocaine.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Serious Adverse Events Profile for Cladribine Confirmed With Extended Data
- Patients With Multiple Sclerosis Face Greater Infection Risk
- Ozanimod Reduces Severe Relapses in Multiple Sclerosis More Than Interferon Beta-1a