Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphenoxylate HCl 2.5mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg; tabs.
Indications for LOMOTIL:
Adjunct therapy in the management of diarrhea.
≥13yrs: 2 tabs 4 times daily until diarrhea is controlled; max 20mg/day. Maintenance: 2 tabs daily. Discontinue if no improvement within 10 days after treatment with max dose.
<13yrs: not established.
Age <6yrs (risks of respiratory and/or CNS depression). Diarrhea associated with pseudomembranous enterocolitis or other enterotoxin-producing bacteria due to risk of GI complications (including sepsis). Obstructive jaundice.
Dehydration. Electrolyte imbalance. Acute ulcerative colitis; discontinue if toxic megacolon occurs. Hepatic or renal impairment. Drug abusers. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Opioid + anticholinergic.
Avoid alcohol. Concomitant MAOIs may cause hypertensive crisis; avoid use. Potentiates sedation with alcohol or other CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, sedatives/hypnotics, anxiolytics, tranquilizers, general anesthetics, antipsychotics, opioids, buspirone, antihistamines, muscle relaxants); monitor closely. May delay elimination of other drugs metabolized by CPY450.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, euphoria, tachycardia, numbness of extremities, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anticholinergic effects; respiratory depression (overdosage), atropinism (esp. in pediatrics with Down's syndrome).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd