Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphenoxylate HCl 2.5mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg; tabs.
Indications for LOMOTIL:
Adjunct therapy in the management of diarrhea.
≥13yrs: 2 tabs 4 times daily until diarrhea is controlled; max 20mg/day. Maintenance: 2 tabs daily. Discontinue if no improvement within 10 days after treatment with max dose.
<13yrs: not established.
Age <6yrs (risks of respiratory and/or CNS depression). Diarrhea associated with pseudomembranous enterocolitis or other enterotoxin-producing bacteria due to risk of GI complications (including sepsis). Obstructive jaundice.
Dehydration. Electrolyte imbalance. Acute ulcerative colitis; discontinue if toxic megacolon occurs. Hepatic or renal impairment. Drug abusers. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol. Concomitant MAOIs may cause hypertensive crisis; avoid use. Potentiates sedation with alcohol or other CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, sedatives/hypnotics, anxiolytics, tranquilizers, general anesthetics, antipsychotics, opioids, buspirone, antihistamines, muscle relaxants); monitor closely. May delay elimination of other drugs metabolized by CPY450.
Opioid + anticholinergic.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, euphoria, tachycardia, numbness of extremities, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anticholinergic effects; respiratory depression (overdosage), atropinism (esp. in pediatrics with Down's syndrome).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Clarifying Cardiovascular Risk in Migraine
- More Evidence Supports Benefits of Cannabidiol for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Parkinson Disease Symptom Fluctuations Well-Managed With Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
- Monthly Erenumab Reduces Frequency of Episodic Migraine
- Female Gender, Natalizumab Exposure Associated With Increased Lymphopenia Risk in FNG-Treated MS
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH
- Gait Difficulty in Parkinson Disease May Be Associated With More Progressive Disease Course
- Tau PET a Useful Biomarker for Alzheimer Disease Risk and Progression
- Multiple Sclerosis Drug Zinbryta Withdrawn From the Market
- Predicting Seizure Risk Following Ischemic Stroke With SeLECT Score
- Surgical Outcomes Associated With Trigger Site Deactivation for Migraines
- Combined Exercise Training Increases BDNF in Relapsing-Remitting MS
- Exome-Targeted Capture Sequencing Can Diagnose Previously-Undetected Ataxia
- Strategies for Preventing and Treating Delirium
- High Total Cholesterol Neuroprotective Against Cognitive Decline