Generic Name and Formulations:
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 1g; soft-gelatin caps; contains α-tocopherol 4mg/cap.
Indications for LOVAZA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce very high (≥500mg/dL) triglyceride levels in adults.
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: 4g daily; may take as 4g once daily or as 2g twice daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Hepatic impairment: monitor AST/ALT periodically. Obtain baseline triglycerides (TG); monitor TG, LDL-C periodically. Exclude and/or treat secondary causes of hypertriglyceridema (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, medications). Paroxysmal or persistent atrial fibrillation. Fish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants; monitor.
Eructation, dyspepsia, rash, taste perversion; increased ALT, AST, LDL-C.
Formerly known under the brand name Omacor.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics