LYRICA CR CV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Pregabalin 82.5mg, 165mg, 330mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for LYRICA CR:
Neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN). Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN).
Swallow whole. Take once daily after evening meal. DPN: initially 165mg daily, may increase to max 330mg/day within 1 week. PHN: initially 165mg daily, may increase to 330mg daily within 1 week; max 660mg/day if insufficient relief after 2–4wks. Conversion from Lyrica capsules, oral soln: see full labeling. For all: renal impairment (CrCl 30–60mL/min): reduce dose (see full labeling); (CrCl <30mL/min or hemodialysis): dose with Lyrica.
<4yrs: not established. Give in 2–3 divided doses. ≥4yrs (11kg–<30kg): initially 3.5mg/kg/day, max 14mg/kg/day; (≥30kg): initially 2.5mg/kg/day, max 10mg/kg/day (up to 600mg/day). Renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min): not established.
Avoid abrupt cessation (taper over ≥1 week). Discontinue if angioedema, hypersensitivity reactions, myopathy or markedly elevated creatine kinase levels occur. Monitor for new or worsening depression, suicidal thoughts, unusual behavior. CHF. Ocular conditions. Diabetes (monitor skin integrity). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Alpha-2 delta ligand.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive edema, weight gain with thiazolidinediones. Increased risk of angioedema with concomitant ACEIs.
Dizziness, somnolence, dry mouth, edema, blurred vision, weight gain, thinking abnormal (primarily difficulty with concentration/attention); elevated creatine kinase, decreased platelets, PR prolongation, male-mediated teratogenicity; may be tumorigenic. Also in children: increased appetite.
Register patients in North American Antiepileptic Drug (NAAED) Pregnancy Registry by calling (888) 233-2334.
Caps—90; CR tabs—30; Soln—16oz
Neurology Advisor Articles
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Serious Adverse Events Profile for Cladribine Confirmed With Extended Data
- Patients With Multiple Sclerosis Face Greater Infection Risk
- Ozanimod Reduces Severe Relapses in Multiple Sclerosis More Than Interferon Beta-1a
- Unintended Pregnancy Common in Women With Epilepsy
- Aggressive Blood Pressure Lowering in Intracerebral Hemorrhage May Be Harmful
- Risk of Opioid-Benzodiazepine Overlap Up for Dual Prescribing
- Minority Residents Experience Burdens Linked to Race/Ethnicity
- Tips Provided for Budgeting in Medical Residency