Generic Name and Formulations:
Isocarboxazid 10mg; scored tabs.
Indications for MARPLAN:
Initially 10mg twice daily. May increase by 10mg every 2–4 days up to 40mg daily. If tolerated, may increase by 20mg/week to max 60mg/day divided into 2–4 doses.
<16yrs: Not recommended.
See Interactions. Pheochromocytoma. Cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, or liver disease. Hypertension. Chronic headache. To avoid potentially severe or fatal interactions, allow sufficient drug-free interval (see literature) between isocarboxazid and sympathomimetics (eg, amphetamines, pseudoephedrine), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline, clomipramine), SSRIs or other neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine), maprotiline, CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics), antihistamines, antihypertensives (eg, guanethidine), anesthetics, bupropion, buspirone, carbamazepine, cyclobenzaprine, dibenzazepines, diuretics, dextromethorphan, dopamine, other MAOIs (eg, phenelzine, selegiline, furazolidone, tranylcypromine), levodopa, methyldopa, methylphenidate, phenylalanine, tryptophan-, dopamine-, tyrosine-, or tyramine-containing foods, excess caffeine or chocolate. Meperidine within 3 weeks of isocarboxazid.
Suicidality and antidepressant drugs.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor all patients for clinical worsening or unusual behavioral changes. Screen for risk of bipolar disorder prior to initiation. Mania/hypomania. Psychosis. Epilepsy. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Schizophrenia. Discontinue if palpitations or headache occurs, 48hrs before to 24hrs after myelography, or at 1st sign of jaundice or hepatic dysfunction. Avoid abrupt cessation. Hypotension. Monitor BP and observe patient frequently. May mask anginal pain or aggravate anxiety or agitation. Renal impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crises with sympathomimetics, levodopa, and high-tyramine foods (eg, cheese, salami, chocolate, wine, beer, pickled herring, chicken livers, yeast extract, yogurt, broad beans). Caution with antidiabetic agents, antiparkinson agents, disulfiram. Potentiates CNS depressants, antihypertensives. Psychosis with dextromethorphan. Circulatory collapse, coma, death with meperidine. Do not start within 5wks of fluoxetine, 10 days of buspirone, or 2wks of sertraline, paroxetine, bupropion or citalopram, or 1wk of venlafaxine discontinuance.
Orthostatic hypotension, hypertensive crises, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, GI disturbances, blurred vision, akathisia, ataxia, black tongue, coma, dysuria, euphoria, hematologic changes, incontinence, photosensitivity, seizures, changes in blood sugar.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure