Generic Name and Formulations:
Rizatriptan (as benzoate) 5mg, 10mg; orally-disintegrating tabs; peppermint flavor; contains phenylalanine.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for MAXALT-MLT:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: Initially 5 or 10mg; may repeat after 2 hrs; max 30mg/day. Concomitant propranolol: use 5mg dose; max 3 doses/day. The safety of treating, on average, more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic heart disease (eg, angina pectoris, history of MI, documented silent ischemia). Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina). Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAOIs.
Confirm diagnosis. Reevaluate if angina or ischemia symptoms (eg, ischemic bowel syndrome) occur, or if no response after 1st dose. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, post-menopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia following other 5-HT1 agonists. Hepatic dysfunction. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
MAOIs, methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Caution with SSRIs. Exposure increased by propranolol.
Asthenia, somnolence, dizziness, paresthesia, chest/jaw/throat pressure or other pain, dry mouth, nausea, headache; serious cardiac events (rare).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Higher Levels of Cholesterol May Protect Men From Parkinson Disease
- Ajovy Injection Approved for Migraine Prevention in Adults
- Chronic Pain May Be Contributor to Suicide
- FDA Approves Tiglutik for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- New 15-Item Dyspnea-ALS-Score Assesses Dyspnea in ALS
- CDC: About One in Five U.S. Adults Have Chronic Pain
- Fingolimod Cuts Multiple Sclerosis Relapses in Pediatric Patients
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Brivaracetam Effective for Reducing Seizures in Patients with Epileptic Encephalopathies