Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylprednisolone 2mg, 4mg, 8mg, 16mg, 32mg; scored tabs.
Indications for MEDROL:
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Individualize. 4–48mg daily.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines. Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol: also premature infants (benzyl alcohol content), intrathecal administration, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (IM preparations). Allergy to cow's milk or other dairy products (Solu-Medrol 40mg).
Not for epidural use; serious neurologic events may occur. Cerebral malaria, optic neuritis: not recommended. Latent or active amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Ocular herpes simplex. Cirrhosis. Tuberculosis. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Recent MI. CHF. Hypertension. Renal insufficiency. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Hypothyroidism. Kaposi's sarcoma. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Alternate, intermittent, or single-daily doses at 8 AM minimize adrenal suppression. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. IV: drug-induced liver injury; discontinue if toxic hepatitis occurs. Intrasynovial: avoid previously infected or unstable joints. Solu-Medrol 40mg: consider allergy to cow's milk if new or worsening allergic symptoms occur; use alternatives. Avoid abrupt cessation. Use lowest effective dose. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin), cholestyramine. May potentiate cyclosporine (seizure risk). May antagonize oral anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid. Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs (eg, amphotericin B, diuretics). Concomitant neuromuscular blocking agents; increased risk of myopathy. Withdraw anticholinesterase agents at least 24hrs before initiating corticosteroid therapy. Aminoglutethimide may lead to loss of corticosteroid-induced adrenal suppression. Increased GI effects with aspirin, other NSAIDs. Caution with aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance. Parenteral: atrophy, flare at site; intrasynovial: septic arthritis.
Tabs, dosepak (YES); Depo-medrol: 20mg/mL (NO); 40mg/mL, 80mg/mL (YES); Solu-medrol: 40mg, 125mg, 500mg, 1g (YES); 2g (NO)
Tabs 2mg—100; 4mg—100, 500; 8mg, 32mg—25; 16mg—50; Dosepak—21; Depo-Medrol multi-dose vial (20mg/mL)—1; (40mg/mL, 80mg/mL)—1, 25; Single-dose vial (40mg/mL, 80mg/mL)—1; Solu-Medrol single-dose vial (500mg, 1g)—1; (40mg, 125mg)—25; Multi-dose vial (500mg, 1g)—1; Vial with diluent (2g)—1
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd