Generic Name and Formulations:
Neisseria meningitidis polysaccharides 4mcg each of Group A, C, Y, and W-135; per 0.5mL; (diphtheria toxoid conjugate); soln for IM inj; preservative-free.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for MENACTRA:
Adults and Children:
<9mos: not recommended. Give by IM inj only in deltoid region. Primary vaccination: 9–23mos: 0.5mL given as 2-dose series three months apart; 2–55yrs: 0.5mL once. Booster vaccination: 15–55yrs: may give a single (0.5mL) dose for those at continued risk, if at least 4yrs have elapsed since the prior dose.
Severe allergic reaction to any previous meningococcal capsular polysaccharide-, diphtheria toxoid- or CRM197-containing vaccine.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. History of Guillain-Barre syndrome. Immunosuppressed. Risk of syncope. Latex allergy. Adults >55yrs old. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressants (eg, irradiation, antimetabolites, alkylating agents, cytotoxic drugs, high-dose steroids) may get suboptimal response. Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling.
Inj site reactions, headache, fatigue, malaise, arthralgia, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, chills, fever, rash, irritability, drowsiness; children: also, abnormal crying.
To register pregnant patients or to report adverse events call (800) 822-2463. Refer to www.cdc.gov for ACIP guidelines on vaccinating acutely ill patients.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL