METADATE CD CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylphenidate HCl 10mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 50mg, 60mg; ext-rel caps (contains immediate-release + ext-rel beads); contains sucrose.
Indications for METADATE CD:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Adults and Children:
Take before breakfast. Swallow whole or sprinkle contents onto applesauce (swallow immediately); do not crush, chew, or divide beads. <6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: initially 20mg once daily, may increase weekly by 10–20mg/day; max 60mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Marked anxiety, tension, agitation. Glaucoma. Motor tics. Tourette's syndrome in patient or family. Severe hypertension. Angina. Cardiac arrhythmias. Heart failure. Recent MI. Hyperthyroidism. Thyrotoxicosis. Surgery.
History of drug dependence or alcoholism; monitor for abnormal behavior. Increased risk of sudden death, stroke, and MI; assess for presence of cardiac disease before initiating. Avoid in known structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, and other cardiac problems. Pre-existing psychotic disorder. Bipolar disorder; screen for risk before initiation. Consider discontinuing if new psychotic/manic symptoms occur. Monitor for new or worsening aggressive behavior or hostility. Seizure disorder. Peripheral vasculopathy, including Raynaud's Phenomenon; monitor for digital changes. Monitor growth (esp. children), BP, HR, CBCs, differential, platelet counts. Reduce dose or discontinue if paradoxical aggravation of symptoms occur. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Avoid alcohol. Caution with pressor agents. May potentiate anticonvulsants (eg, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), oral anticoagulants, tricyclics, SSRIs, phenylbutazone. May be affected by agents that alter urinary pH. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs.
Headache, anorexia, abdominal pain, insomnia, dizziness, nervousness; priapism, hypertension, tachycardia, visual disturbances.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Survival in Parkinson Disease Dependent on Parkinsonian Type, Characteristics
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Mobile Health Apps for Headache: An Ongoing Search for Clinical Relevancy
- Young Fresh Frozen Plasma Infusion Safe, Feasible in Alzheimer Disease
- Behavioral Therapies May Treat Headache and Post-Concussive Symptoms
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Can Early Initiation of Direct Oral Anticoagulants Prevent Recurrent AFib-Related Stroke?
- Hydrocephalus May Be a Complication of Congenial Zika Syndrome
- Higher CSF NfL Protein Levels Linked to Risk for Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Addressing Cognitive Impairment in Pediatric MS: Expert Q&A
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities