Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyldopa 125mg, 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyldopa:
Initially 250mg 2–3 times daily; titrate at intervals of at least 2 days. Concomitant antihypertensives other than thiazides: initial max 500mg/day. Maintenance: 500mg–2g/day in 2–4 divided doses; max 3g/day.
Initially 10mg/kg per day in 2–4 divided doses; max 65mg/kg or 3g daily (whichever is less).
Active hepatic disease. History of methyldopa-associated liver dysfunction. Concomitant MAOIs.
Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Pheochromocytoma. Severe cerebrovascular disease. Monitor blood and liver function. Discontinue if fever, jaundice, liver dysfunction, worsening edema or heart failure occurs. Surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Central alpha agonist.
MAOIs: see Contraindications. Antagonized by oral iron preps: not recommended. May potentiate antihypertensives, general anesthetics, lithium. May interfere with lab tests.
Sedation, headache, asthenia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia, edema, GI upset, rash, nasal congestion, arthralgia, amenorrhea, hyperprolactinemia, gynecomastia, pancreatitis, impotence, decreased libido, CNS effects, eosinophilia, liver dysfunction, jaundice, (+) Coombs test, hemolytic anemia; rarely: fatal hepatic necrosis, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Aldomet.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Drug Prices Increase More Than Expected After Shortages
- Potentially Inappropriate Opioid Prescribing Tied to Overdose
- Loss of Function Variants in LRKK1 and LRKK2 Not Linked to Parkinson Disease
- Scribes Improve Physician Workflow, Patient Interaction