Mild Cognitive Impairment
PET imaging may help clinicians track progression of the disease and evaluate response to disease-modifying treatments.
Investigators sought to examine factors that influence a cognitively normal individual's risk for developing symptoms of mild cognitive impairment due to Alzheimer disease.
Cognitive training helps to improve memory in older adults with mild cognitive impairment.
Guidelines: AAN Recommends Exercise, Cautious Prescribing for Patients With Mild Cognitive ImpairmentJanuary 15, 2018
A lower education level was associated with higher MCI prevalence in 8 of the class I studies.
Throughout the life course, higher body mass index and obesity are linked to cognitive decline, brain atrophy, reduced white matter and integrity of the blood-brain barrier, and elevated risk for late-onset Alzheimer disease.
This analysis was comprised of well-educated and mostly white patients, so these findings may be difficult to generalize to all populations.
There is an urgent need for individualized risk assessments for patients with mild cognitive impairment.
An intensive lifestyle intervention including diet and exercise resulted in no improvements in cognitive impairment.
The association between intracranial atherosclerotic disease and dementia should be the focus of future studies.
Patients with the K-variant of the butyrylcholinesterase gene have an adverse reaction to treatment with donepezil.
Mixed AD neuropathologic changes were more frequent than pure ADNC pathology among the group that remained MCI until death.
Early intervention in patients with heart failure or atrial fibrillation may help delay or prevent the onset of mild dementia.
Engaging in mentally stimulating activities like games, crafting, and computers may help slow cognitive decline in the elderly.
A combination of age and clinical scores better predicted cognitive impairment than age alone.
Eli Lilly's investigational Alzheimer's drug failed to meet the primary end point in the phase 3 EXPEDITION3 trial.
The effect of antihypertensive drugs and stains on cognition is uncertain.
Patients with mild cognitive impairment with preserved hippocampal volume are at increased risk for dementia with Lewy bodies vs Alzheimer disease.
Future studies should investigate other neuropsychiatric factors for their impact on early signs of AD.
There were significantly lower levels of anxiety/depression and fatigue noted in the intervention group.
Future studies should explore ways to increase ongoing exercise adherence among participants
Anxiety appeared to affect both verbal and visual memory.
Reading and playing games may help reduce MCI risk in non-APOE-ε4 carriers.
Researchers have uncovered a positive synergistic interaction between Alzheimer's pathology and neuropsychiatric symptoms.
Administration of valid screening measures is vital for the early detection of cognitive impairment.
The 5-year, $30 million program seeks to identify the molecular connections between vascular risk factors and Alzheimer dementia.
Researchers sought to understand sex differences in verbal memory deficits and its relationship to hippocampal volume.
Risk of MCI was increased with baseline characteristics of metabolic syndrome.
Those with the highest levels of hostility and stress at baseline recalled .16 and .30 fewer words respectively in middle age.
Only 25.2 percent of adults aged 45 and older reported memory complaints to healthcare professionals.
Research indicates that a loss of weight beginning in midlife and continuing into late life increases risk of MCI.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Clarifying Cardiovascular Risk in Migraine
- Parkinson Disease Symptom Fluctuations Well-Managed With Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
- More Evidence Supports Benefits of Cannabidiol for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Monthly Erenumab Reduces Frequency of Episodic Migraine
- Reduced Risk for Multiple Sclerosis Linked to Greater Sun Exposure
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Gait Difficulty in Parkinson Disease May Be Associated With More Progressive Disease Course
- Tau PET a Useful Biomarker for Alzheimer Disease Risk and Progression
- Multiple Sclerosis Drug Zinbryta Withdrawn From the Market
- Incidence of Delayed Traumatic Intracranial Hemorrhage Low in Older Adults With Blunt Head Trauma
- Older Epilepsy Patients More Likely to Experience AED, Non-AED Drug Interaction
- Female Gender, Natalizumab Exposure Associated With Increased Lymphopenia Risk in FNG-Treated MS
- Accelerated Cognitive Decline Associated With Retinopathy
- Treatment Effects Often Exaggerated in Early Clinical Studies