Multiple Sclerosis Guidelines: AAN's Recommendations for Initiating, Switching, Stopping Disease-Modifying Therapy
The new guidelines focus on helping clinicians decide when to initiate, switch, or discontinue disease-modifying therapies for multiple sclerosis.
Reduced Disability Progression, Adverse Events Top Considerations When Selecting Multiple Sclerosis Therapy
A majority of the respondents in both groups identified reduced disability progression as a priority.
A combination of dalfampridine extended-release and physical therapy (PT) has shown efficacy for improving gait in people with multiple sclerosis
Differing formulations and ratios of the subjects' medical cannabis regimens have been accounted for, though further information about ratios of CBD and TCH are subject to change due to continued ongoing research.
Pain in patients with multiple sclerosis may affect their daily functioning regardless of disease severity.
Investigators assessed the effect of disease-modifying treatments on pain in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.
The MS and monophasic ADS groups were compared using quantified melanin measurements via the DSM II Colorimeter; self-reported skin tones of fair, medium, olive, or dark; a self-reported race; and skin tone, which was self-reported using 10 numerical panels of color.
The protocol authors propose a more objective method of managing medication adherence through a profile performed by an occupational therapist.
Due to the increased risk for urinary tract infections (UTIs) in people with MS and similar CNS demyelinating diseases, as well as the tendency of UTIs to trigger more MS flares, the affected population are subject to a large number of unneeded antibiotic prescriptions and asymptomatic bacteriuria treatments.
The study researchers examined data from the US database of the IMS Health Real World Data Adjudicated Claims between 2011 and 2015.
Immunotherapy in multiple sclerosis may increase the risk for conversion from latent to active tuberculosis infection.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy of Cladribine Tablets in Patients With Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Performance, Mood Deficits, White Matter Hyperintensities in Migraine
- Disrupted Thalamo-Striato-Hypothalamic Function May Serve as a Good Biomarker for Parkinson Disease
- FDA to Review Sublingual Tx for Motor Fluctuations in Parkinson Disease
- Shortened MS Quality-of-Life Questionnaire Compares With Longer Test in Reliability and Consistency
- Polyphenol-Rich Diet May Reduce Dementia Risk in Older Adults
- Addressing Migraine That Mimics Stroke
- Visual Association Test, MMSE Highly Predictive of Dementia in Older Adults
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Medical Cannabis Shows Promise in Treating Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
- Rituximab Effectively Reduces Disease Activity in Multiple Sclerosis
- Characteristics, Treatment Response Similar in Idiopathic, 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome-Associated Parkinson Disease
- Lifestyle, Behavioral Factors Contribute to Dementia Risk Assessment
- FDA Lifts Clinical Hold on Trial for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment
- Fremanezumab Chronic Cluster Headache Study Discontinued