Generic Name and Formulations:
Rifabutin 150mg; hard-gel caps.
Indications for MYCOBUTIN:
Prevention of disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) disease in advanced HIV infection.
≥18yrs: 300mg once daily. If inclined to GI upset, may give 150mg twice daily with food. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), concomitant amprenavir, indinavir, or nelfinavir: reduce rifabutin dose by 50%. Concomitant ritonavir, fosamprenavir/ritonavir, lopinavir/ritonavir, saquinavir/ritonavir, tipranavir/ritonavir: reduce rifabutin dose by 75% (to max 150mg every other day or 3 times per week).
<18yrs: not established.
Active tuberculosis: do not administer. Evaluate and test for tuberculosis before and during therapy; treat with combination antituberculosis regimen if active disease occurs. Suspend therapy if uveitis is suspected. Do hematologic tests periodically. May stain body secretions and contact lenses. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant delavirdine, voriconazole: not recommended. Antagonizes dapsone, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim, zidovudine, oral contraceptives (change or use additional nonhormonal birth control methods) or drugs that are metabolized by CYP3A enzymes (eg, itraconazole, clarithromycin, saquinavir, posaconazole). Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, clarithromycin, posaconazole).
Discolored urine, GI upset, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, fever, myalgia, rash, taste perversion, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia; rare: myositis, uveitis.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Addressing Levodopa-Resistant Parkinson Disease
- High Daily Stress Linked to Migraine Prevalence in Women
- Researchers Identify Coffee Component That May Provide Neuroprotection
- Functional Imaging in Movement Disorders: Diagnostic Advantages
- Dextroamphetamine Plus Physical Therapy Nonsuperior to Placebo for Improving Post-Stroke Motor Recovery
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy