Generic Name and Formulations:
Busulfan 2mg; tabs.
Indications for MYLERAN:
Palliative treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia.
Remission induction: 4–8mg/day or 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reserve doses >4mg/day for severe cases. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes; see literature. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. If remission <3 months, maintenance therapy of 1–3mg/day may be advisable.
Remission induction: 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. See literature.
Confirm diagnosis. Monitor hepatic and bone marrow function. Obtain CBCs and differential weekly; monitor for anemia. Previously compromised bone marrow (irradiation, chemotherapy). Seizure disorder or risk. Head trauma. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Myelosuppression increased with other myelosuppressives. Increased pulmonary toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Potentiated by itraconazole, cyclophosphamide (see literature). May be antagonized by phenytoin. Hepatotoxicity possible with long-term continuous thioguanine therapy. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold.
See literature. Bone marrow suppression (eg, pancytopenia, anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, aplastic anemia), pulmonary toxicity, cellular dysplasia, malignant tumors, acute leukemias, cardiac tamponade (esp. in thalassemia), hyperpigmentation, adrenal insufficiency, seizures, hepatic veno-occlusive disease, infection (eg, pneumonia, sepsis), mucositis, myasthenia gravis, gonadal suppression, rash; rare: cataracts, bronchopulmonary dysplasia (discontinue if occurs).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Survival in Parkinson Disease Dependent on Parkinsonian Type, Characteristics
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Mobile Health Apps for Headache: An Ongoing Search for Clinical Relevancy
- Young Fresh Frozen Plasma Infusion Safe, Feasible in Alzheimer Disease
- CBD Superior to Placebo, Similar to AEDs for Managing Epilepsy Syndromes
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Can Early Initiation of Direct Oral Anticoagulants Prevent Recurrent AFib-Related Stroke?
- Hydrocephalus May Be a Complication of Congenial Zika Syndrome
- Higher CSF NfL Protein Levels Linked to Risk for Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Addressing Cognitive Impairment in Pediatric MS: Expert Q&A
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities