Memantine Oral Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Memantine HCl 2mg/mL; sugar-and alcohol-free; peppermint flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Memantine Oral Solution:
Moderate-to-severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type.
Initially 5mg once daily; titrate at intervals of at least 1 week to 5mg twice daily, then to 5mg and 10mg as separate doses, then to 10mg twice daily (prescribe Titration Pak for 1st 4 weeks). Severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): titrate to max 5mg twice daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Alkalinized urine (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTI) increases memantine serum levels. Seizure disorder. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
NMDA receptor antagonist.
Caution with other NMDA antagonists (eg, amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan). May affect or be affected by renally-excreted drugs (eg, triamterene, HCTZ, metformin, cimetidine, nicotine, ranitidine, quinidine). Plasma levels may be increased by urinary alkalinizers.
Headache, dizziness, confusion, diarrhea, constipation, hypertension, pain, somnolence, hallucination, urinary disorders, dyspnea.
Tabs—60; Titration Pak (28 x 5mg + 21 x 10mg)—1; Oral soln—contact supplier; XR caps 7mg, 21mg—30; 14mg, 28mg—30, 90; XR Titration Pak (7 x 7mg + 7 x 14mg + 7 x 21mg + 7 x 28mg)—1
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Seizure Monitoring Smartwatch Cleared for Use in Children
- Steps to Facilitate Rapid Reperfusion to Improve Poststroke Outcomes
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Cerebellar Stimulation May Help Improve Gait and Balance Recovery in Stroke
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Breakdown of Blood-Brain Barrier May Drive Dementia
- FDA: Food Inspections to Resume Despite Ongoing Funding Lapse
- First Generic Version of Sabril Tablets Gets FDA Approval
- Supine Positioning After Greater Occipital Nerve Block May Improve Outcomes