NAMENDA XR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Memantine HCl 7mg, 14mg, 21mg, 28mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for NAMENDA XR:
Moderate-to-severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type.
Do not divide doses. Swallow whole or may open caps and sprinkle on applesauce, then consume entire contents. Initially 7mg once daily; titrate at intervals of at least 1 week in increments of 7mg to target dose of 28mg once daily. Max 28mg once daily. Severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): titrate to target dose of 14mg/day. Switching from immediate-release tabs: give XR caps the day after last dose of immediate-release tabs; see full labeling.
Severe hepatic impairment. Alkalinized urine (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTI) increases memantine serum levels. Seizure disorder. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with other NMDA antagonists (eg, amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan). May affect or be affected by renally-excreted drugs (eg, triamterene, HCTZ, metformin, cimetidine, nicotine, ranitidine, quinidine). Plasma levels may be increased by urinary alkalinizers.
NMDA receptor antagonist.
Headache, dizziness, confusion, diarrhea, constipation, hypertension, pain, somnolence, hallucination, urinary disorders, dyspnea.
Tabs (YES); Oral soln, XR caps (NO)
Tabs—60; Titration Pak (28 x 5mg + 21 x 10mg)—1; Oral soln—360mL; XR caps 7mg, 21mg—30; 14mg, 28mg—30, 90; XR Titration Pak (7 x 7mg + 7 x 14mg + 7 x 21mg + 7 x 28mg)—1
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Risk of Developing Multiple Sclerosis After HPV Vaccination
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid-Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics