Geoffrey Littlejohn, MD, provides a clinical perspective on the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia and the role of neurogenic inflammation in the disease process.
The treatment is currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 study (ELEVATE) in patients with major depressive disorder who have had an inadequate response to standard antidepressant therapy.
Pregabalin does not appear to be effective for controlling pain in patients with chronic post-traumatic peripheral neuropathic pain.
The non-aqueous adhesive patch requires 36mg per topical system to achieve the same therapeutic dose as Lidoderm (lidocaine 5%) which contains 700mg per patch.
For patients with restless leg syndrome, the primary motor cortex (M1) exhibits hyperexcitability, which is associated with disease severity.
The investigators hope that the BCG vaccine can increase anti-inflammatory cytokines, which are deficient in patients with fibromyalgia.
The trial was ended for futility when a total of 44 worsening events had occurred in the cohort.
Reduced amplitude of the ulnar motor nerve and the sural nerve action potentials may be specific to transthyretin familial amyloid polyneuropathies, allowing us to distinguish this disorder from other demyelinating polyneuropathies.
In back-related leg pain and sciatica patients, belief in a long recovery and the number of other symptoms attributed to the pain are independently negatively associated with improvement.
CAPPRI Scale is Feasible for Assessing Health-Related Quality of Life in Diabetic Distal Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy
Investigators evaluated the performance of the CAPPRI in assessing health-related quality-of-life outcomes in patients with diabetic distal sensorimotor polyneuropathy.
Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure