Geoffrey Littlejohn, MD, provides a clinical perspective on the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia and the role of neurogenic inflammation in the disease process.
Smoking tobacco is a risk factor for cognitive dysfunction in patients with fibromyalgia.
Investigators found that many people with carpal tunnel syndrome wake up at night with tingling and numbness in their fingers.
The use of short-segment stimulation along the ulnar sensory nerves and across the elbow may provide reliable diagnostic confirmation of ulnar neuropathies.
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation administered during physical activity may effectively alleviate fibromyalgia-associated pain, fatigue, and disease impact in women.
The approval was based on data from the Phase 3 NEURO-TTR study (N=173) which randomized patients with polyneuropathy caused by hATTR amyloidosis to Tegsedi or placebo.
In patients with chronic sciatica, gabapentin was associated with a greater reduction in leg pain intensity and fewer side effects compared with pregabalin.
The treatment is currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 study (ELEVATE) in patients with major depressive disorder who have had an inadequate response to standard antidepressant therapy.
Pregabalin does not appear to be effective for controlling pain in patients with chronic post-traumatic peripheral neuropathic pain.
The non-aqueous adhesive patch requires 36mg per topical system to achieve the same therapeutic dose as Lidoderm (lidocaine 5%) which contains 700mg per patch.
For patients with restless leg syndrome, the primary motor cortex (M1) exhibits hyperexcitability, which is associated with disease severity.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Surgical, Nonsurgical Treatments for Chronic Migraine: Evidence and Relevancy
- Neurofilament Light Biomarkers Identify Alzheimer Disease Risk in Down Syndrome
- Myoclonic-Atonic Seizures and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome Present With Overlapping Features, Difficulty in Diagnosis
- Tap Water in Neti Pot Linked to Brain Infection, Death From Balamuthia mandrillaris
- Rituximab Effects in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorders
- Study Identifies Early-Onset Motor Behaviors in DES-Triggered Seizures
- Autoimmune Diseases Increase Hippocampal Sclerosis Risk in Nonagenarians
- Smaller Heads Related to Opioid-Related Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Hearing Loss in Older Adults Linked to Depression, Dementia Among Other Comorbidities
- Bumetanide May Benefit Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder