Geoffrey Littlejohn, MD, provides a clinical perspective on the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia and the role of neurogenic inflammation in the disease process.
In back-related leg pain and sciatica patients, belief in a long recovery and the number of other symptoms attributed to the pain are independently negatively associated with improvement.
CAPPRI Scale is Feasible for Assessing Health-Related Quality of Life in Diabetic Distal Sensorimotor PolyneuropathyJune 15, 2018
Investigators evaluated the performance of the CAPPRI in assessing health-related quality-of-life outcomes in patients with diabetic distal sensorimotor polyneuropathy.
Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Providing guidance to improve dietary behavior, which may include supplementation to achieve an optimal nutritional status, can contribute to improved control of fibromyalgia symptoms.
Compared with control patients, patients with restless leg syndrome symptoms experienced a morphologic change in the brain somatosensory system.
Childhood cancer survivors frequently have clinical abnormalities attributable to peripheral neuropathy.
The type of sciatic nerve lesions observed in patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathy was found to differ in type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Specific countries officially recommend some screening questionnaires for the early assessment of neuropathic pain, with France recommending the DN4 and Germany recommending PainDETECT.
Experts discuss the symptoms and prevalence of neurological manifestations in Sjogren syndrome.
For patients with gluten neuropathy, following a strict gluten-free diet is associated with significantly reduced odds of peripheral neuropathic pain.
Improvement in fibromyalgia impact questionnaire scores was greater for combined tai chi groups.
The study included 110,184 adults (mean age: 76 years) newly started on gabapentin therapy in Ontario, Canada.
The PATH study demonstrated that the percentage of patients experiencing CIDP relapse or withdrawal for any other reason during SCIg treatment was significantly lower with Hizentra.
A new blood test that uses RNA data to identify fibromyalgia has been released by IQuity.
The odds of gabapentin overuse are significantly higher in patients who were co-prescribed opioids.
The FDA has approved ZTlido to relieve pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia.
Treatment patterns amont patients with trigeminal neuralgia suggest that this disorder carries a significant burden.
Women with RLS are more likely to have cardiovascular-related comorbidities than those without RLS.
The FDA has accepted Alnylam's New Drug Application for patisiran, and investigational drug for treating hereditary aTTR amyloidosis, for priority review.
The measurement may provide a dynamic measure of axonal damage in a disease in which neuropathy is the only neurologic manifestation.
For patients with restless leg syndrome, opioids may be very beneficial if taken in low daily doses.
Chronic pain symptoms in patients with PDPN are effectively reduced with spinal cord stimulation.
Secondary myofascial pain and mandibular limitations were reduced in the acupuncture and sham acupuncture groups immediately after treatment.
Although peripheral nerve decompression has been found to be effective in relieving some symptoms for burn patients, there is still some uncertainty.
A probable diagnosis of fibromyalgia can be indicated with 2 simple tests in chronic pain patients.
Virtual reality and multisensory stimulation could play a role in rehabilitation for patients with spinal cord injury.
The mechanism for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy may have been uncovered.
In patients with multiple sclerosis, lesions in the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex may be associated with hypoalgesia, and lesions in the posterior periventricular area, with hyperalgesia.
Chemotherapy-associated chronic pain and neuropathy have substantial impacts on patients' lives.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Screening Tool Differentiates Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Parkinson Disease
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans