Surgeon skill level may be differentiated by force-sensing bipolar forceps and force analysis.
There is an increased prevalence of tinnitus in patients undergoing medial temporal lobe surgery.
The number of female neurosurgeons in academic leadership positions remains low.
The AAPM&R and the AANS are coming together to track outcomes.
Health care providers are encouraged to inspect the devices before and after use.
Focal cooling is a vast improvement over older brain-mapping techniques, which risked triggering epileptic seizures during surgery.
The risk for death 1 year after major surgery is significantly higher for frail patients.
For adults, mild cognitive issues that may develop over time are unrelated to anesthesia, researchers say.
The device is designed to measure pressure and temperature during and after surgery, and then dissolve. Human trials are still at least 3 to 4 years away, however.
Loss of consciousness during subarachnoid hemorrhage is associated with a 2.8-fold increase in death and poor functional outcome at 1 year.
Resecting more than just the tuber may help prolong seizure freedom in patients with TSC.
Great awareness among pediatricians will allow them to better counsel concerned parents and make referrals to subspecialists.
By 2030, chronic subdural hemorrhage rates will increase drastically, and hospitals may be unprepared.
Patient, surgical, and institutional factors influence surgical management and mortality in central cord syndrome.
Although children with the disorder scored lower overall on academic assessments, cognitive impairments are often mild.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- OCD in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Features Distinct Phenotype, Associated Symptoms
- History of Migraine Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Patent Foramen Ovale Closure for Stroke Prevention: Key Principles for Clinical Practice
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: Weighing the Risks and Benefits
- A Model for Predicting Quality of Life Improvements After Deep Brain Stimulation
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- FDA Grants Orphan Drug Status to Angelman Syndrome Treatment
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Clinical, Radiologic Markers Predictive of Cortical Superficial Siderosis in ICH Identified
- Migraine Pain Location May Not Have Clinical Implications