NICODERM CQ OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine 7mg/24hr, 14mg/24hr, 21mg/24hr; transdermal patch (clear or original color).
Indications for NICODERM CQ:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Apply to clean, dry, nonhairy site on trunk or upper outer arm; rotate application site. Remove patch after 16 or 24 hours; if vivid dreams or other sleep disturbances occur, remove at bedtime and reapply in AM. >10cigarettes/day: initially one 21mg patch daily for 6 weeks; then one 14mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. ≤10cigarettes/day: initially one 14mg patch daily for 6 weeks then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concurrent smoking or use of other nicotine products.
Avoid immediately post-MI, in arrhythmias, or severe or worsening angina pectoris. Uncontrolled hypertension. Vasospastic or coronary heart disease. Hepatic or severe renal impairment. Hyperthyroidism. Pheochromocytoma. Stomach ulcers. Diabetes. Allergy to adhesive tape, other skin problems. History of seizures. Discontinue if an allergic reaction occurs. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets. Pregnancy: not recommended (attempt nondrug treatment first). Nursing mothers.
Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Patch 7mg—14; 14mg—14, 21; 21mg—7, 14, 21
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Oxidized Low-Density Lipoprotein May Predict Risk for Recurrent Stroke
- Inappropriate Prescribing Protocols in Parkinson Disease
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis