Nortriptyline Oral Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nortriptyline (as HCl) 10mg/5mL; contains alcohol 4%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nortriptyline Oral Solution:
Initially 25mg 3–4 times daily; max 150mg/day. Elderly and adolescents: 30–50mg/day in single or divided doses.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Concomitant linezolid or IV methylene blue. Acute post-MI.
Suicidality and antidepressant drugs.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening and unusual changes. Monitor for emergence of serotonin syndrome; discontinue if occurs. Mania/hypomania. Bipolar disorder. Psychosis. ECT. Cardiovascular disease. Angle-closure glaucoma. Urinary retention. Epilepsy. Hyperthyroidism. Diabetes. Liver disorders. Monitor plasma levels if dose >100mg/day. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increased risk of serotonin syndrome with other serotonergic drugs (eg, triptans, tricyclic antidepressants, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, tryptophan, buspirone, St. John's Wort) or with drugs that impair serotonin metabolism (eg, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue). Potentiates alcohol, sympathomimetics. CNS stimulation with reserpine. Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors; monitor plasma levels with quinidine, cimetidine, SSRIs, phenothiazines, type 1C antiarrhythmics (eg, propafenone, flecainide). Antagonized by barbiturates, carbamazepine. Paralytic ileus, hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics. Blocks guanethidine.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, CNS overstimulation, arrhythmias, extrapyramidal symptoms, hypo- or hypertension, nausea, fatigue, rash, headache, changes in blood sugar, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, jaundice.
Caps—30; Soln—contact supplier
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd