Generic Name and Formulations:
Romiplostim (recombinant) 250mcg, 500mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains sucrose and mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for NPLATE:
Treatment of thrombocytopenia in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) who have had an insufficient response to corticosteroids, immunoglobulins, or splenectomy.
Give by SC inj. To reduce risk of bleeding: use lowest effective dose to achieve and maintain platelets ≥50x109/L. ≥18yrs: initially: 1mcg/kg weekly; may increase by 1mcg/kg if platelets <50x109/L; max: 10mcg/kg weekly. May reduce by 1mcg/kg if platelets >200x109/L for 2 consecutive weeks. Do not dose if platelets >400x109/L; resume Nplate at a dose reduced by 1mcg/kg when platelets fall to <200x109/L. Discontinue if platelets have not increased after 4 weeks at max dose.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for normalization of platelet counts or to treat thrombocytopenia due to MDS or any cause of thrombocytopenia other than chronic ITP. Risk of progression from MDS to acute myelogenous leukemia. Worsened thrombocytopenia and bleeding risk may develop after discontinuation. Monitor CBCs with platelets weekly during dose adjustments then monthly after achieving stable dose; and weekly for at least 2wks after discontinuation of therapy. Monitor after initial response for formation of neutralizing antibodies. Renal or hepatic impairment: not studied. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May increase bleeding risk with anticoagulants or antiplatelet agents.
Thrombopoietin receptor agonist.
Arthralgia, dizziness, insomnia, myalgia, pain in extremity, abdominal pain, shoulder pain, dyspepsia, paresthesia, headaches; bone marrow reticulin formation, thrombotic/thromboembolic complications (eg, portal vein thrombosis in chronic liver disease).
To enroll pregnant patients in Amgen's Pregnancy Surveillance program, call (800) 772-6436.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Risk of Developing Multiple Sclerosis After HPV Vaccination
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid-Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics