The quantity of opioids prescribed after surgery is associated with patient-reported opioid consumption.
The number of opioid overdose deaths in the United States reached a new record last year with 72,000 deaths, which works out to about 200 a day.
Ruling against the recommendation of one of its chief experts, the US FDA approved an extremely potent new opioid painkiller, Dsuvia.
Many patients in a workers' compensation cohort have persistent opioid use.
A bipartisan bill meant to combat the United States' opioid abuse epidemic was signed into law October 24 by President Donald Trump.
Receiving prescriptions from both the US Department of Veterans Affairs and Medicare Part D is associated with increased risk for overlapping of opioid and benzodiazepine prescriptions.
A bipartisan bill to fight the opioid addiction crisis in the United States has been passed by Congress.
An "enhanced recovery after surgery" program is associated with a significant reduction in opioid consumption after gynecologic surgery with no increase in pain scores.
In a rare bipartisan move, both the House and Senate have reached a compromise on legislation to address the opioid epidemic.
Potentially inappropriate prescribing (PIP) of opioids is associated with increased risk of all-cause mortality and fatal and nonfatal overdose.
As part of the REMS program, drug companies with approved opioid analgesics must make training available to prescribers and provide unrestricted grants to accredited continuing education providers for the development of education courses.
Many outpatient opioid prescriptions have no documented medical indication.
Purdue Pharma, the maker of Oxycontin who some have blamed for the epidemic of opioid painkiller addictions, has patented a medicine aimed at curbing those disorders.
Among surgical patients who develop new persistent opioid use, surgeons provide the majority of opioid prescriptions in the first few months after surgery.
A $3.4 million grant to help a non-profit company develop a less expensive opioid overdose antidote was announced by Purdue Pharma, which makes the opioid painkiller OxyContin.
Patients coprescribed opioids and pregabalin had significantly increased odds of opioid-related death compared to opioid prescription alone.
The new plan will break out the current guidance into 4 separate guidances.
Rates of opioid use in the United States do not appear to be declining.
Four more online networks that operate 21 websites illegally selling potentially dangerous, unapproved, and misbranded versions of opioid pain medications have been told to immediately stop their sales.
Concomitant exposure to pregabalin and opioids is associated with increased odds of opioid-related death.
Last year, the DEA proposed a 20% reduction in the manufacturing of controlled substances for 2018 compared to 2017.
Children often fill outpatient opioid prescriptions, with the most common indication for dental procedures.
A novel, innovative initiative is being developed to help end addiction over the long term.
Use of medications for opioid use disorder is associated with a reduction in all-cause and opioid-related mortality after opioid overdose.
The US Drug Enforcement Administration's 2014 ruling to reschedule hydrocodone combination products coincided with an increase in illicit trading of opioids through online illicit markets.
Nine online networks have been warned that they must stop illegally marketing potentially dangerous, and misbranded versions of opioid medications.
A recall of the opioid overdose antidote Naloxone was announced Monday.
A NDA has been submitted for NKTR-181, an opioid analgesic molecule designed to provide pain relief with fewer CNS-mediated side effects.
Evidence on whether the implementation of prescription drug monitory programs increases or decreases opioid-related overdoses was found to be "largely insufficient".
Investigators conducted a population-based study to assess risk and cause of unnatural mortality in individuals with epilepsy.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Multiple System Atrophy: A Common Form of Atypical Parkinsonism
- Migraine Treatment in the ED: Overcoming Our Penchant for Opioids
- Erenumab as a Therapy for Hard to Treat Episodic Migraine
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Reduced Survival for Patients With Idiopathic Parkinsonism
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Biomarkers of Alzheimer Disease Observed in Down Syndrome
- Ocrevus Labeling Updated With New Info on Timing of Vaccine Administration
- Approaches for Better Diagnosis of Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis
- Short Segment Sensory Nerve Stimulation Offers Potential Diagnostic Value for Ulnar Neuropathy
- Incidence of Guillain-Barré Syndrome Linked With Recent Bone, Digestive Organ Surgery
- Online Tool Helps Patients With Advance Care Planning