Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline 40mg (30mg immediate-release beads, 10mg delayed-release beads); caps.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ORACEA:
Treatment of inflammatory lesions (papules and pustules) of rosacea. Limitations of use: this formulation has not been evaluated in the treatment or prevention of infections. Efficacy >16 weeks and safety >9 months have not been established.
Take on empty stomach in the morning with sufficient amount of fluids. 40mg once daily.
Do not substitute with other doxycycline products. Renal impairment. Hepatic insufficiency. Monitor blood, renal and hepatic function. Achlorhydria. GI surgery. Predisposition to candidiasis overgrowth. Avoid sun and UV light. Discontinue if pseudomembranous colitis or superinfection occurs and treat appropriately. Monitor for autoimmune syndromes. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended. Not recommended for either gender if conception is planned.
Avoid concomitant methoxyflurane, penicillins, photosensitizers, oral retinoids. Reduced absorption with bismuth subsalicylate, acid pump inhibitors, antacids, calcium, magnesium, iron. May potentiate anticoagulants (eg, warfarin). May antagonize hormonal contraceptives (use back-up contraception). May be antagonized by metabolic enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, carbamazepine, phenytoin).
Nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, superinfection, diarrhea, dry mouth, hypertension, blood glucose increase, elevated liver enzymes or BUN; pseudomembranous colitis, autoimmune syndromes (discontinue if occurs), hyperpigmentation, photosensitivity; benign intracranial hypertension, teeth discoloration, others (see full labeling).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Oxidized Low-Density Lipoprotein May Predict Risk for Recurrent Stroke
- Inappropriate Prescribing Protocols in Parkinson Disease
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis