Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxandrolone 2.5mg+, 10mg; tabs (+scored).
Indications for OXANDRIN:
As an adjunct to promote weight gain after extensive surgery, chronic infections, severe trauma, and without definite cause, to offset protein catabolism associated with prolonged corticosteroid administration, and for relief of osteoporotic bone pain.
Individualize. 2.5–20mg daily given in 2–4 divided doses. Treat for 2–4 weeks; may repeat intermittently as needed. Elderly: 5mg twice daily.
≤0.1mg/kg/day; may repeat intermittently as needed.
Breast (women with hypercalcemia, men) or prostate carcinoma. Nephrosis. Hypercalemia. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Risk of peliosis hepatis, liver cell tumors, blood lipid changes associated with atherosclerosis. Discontinue if cholestatic hepatitis, jaundice, abnormal liver function tests, or hypercalcemia occurs. Cardiovascular disease. COPD. Edematous conditions. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor hepatic function, serum lipids, Hgb/Hct, and bone age (children) periodically. Monitor for signs of virilization in women; discontinue if mild virilism occurs to prevent irreversible condition. Elderly. Young children. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate warfarin (monitor INR/PT), oral hypoglycemics. Increased risk of edema with ACTH, corticosteroids. May suppress clotting factors II, V, VII and X. May decrease thyroxine-binding globulin and radioactive iodine uptake.
Peliosis hepatis, premature epiphyseal closure in children, edema, dyslipidemia, hepatic carcinoma, prostatic hypertrophy or carcinoma, gynecomastia, priapism, oligospermia, jaundice, hirsutism, virilization, menstrual irregularities, male pattern baldness, acne, polycythemia, excitation, depression, altered libido, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, decreased glucose tolerance.
Tabs 2.5mg—100; 10mg—60
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA Fast-Tracks Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics