Potentially inappropriate prescribing (PIP) of opioids is associated with increased risk of all-cause mortality and fatal and nonfatal overdose.
As part of the REMS program, drug companies with approved opioid analgesics must make training available to prescribers and provide unrestricted grants to accredited continuing education providers for the development of education courses.
Many outpatient opioid prescriptions have no documented medical indication.
Purdue Pharma, the maker of Oxycontin who some have blamed for the epidemic of opioid painkiller addictions, has patented a medicine aimed at curbing those disorders.
Among surgical patients who develop new persistent opioid use, surgeons provide the majority of opioid prescriptions in the first few months after surgery.
A $3.4 million grant to help a non-profit company develop a less expensive opioid overdose antidote was announced by Purdue Pharma, which makes the opioid painkiller OxyContin.
The new plan will break out the current guidance into 4 separate guidances.
Rates of opioid use in the United States do not appear to be declining.
Four more online networks that operate 21 websites illegally selling potentially dangerous, unapproved, and misbranded versions of opioid pain medications have been told to immediately stop their sales.
Concomitant exposure to pregabalin and opioids is associated with increased odds of opioid-related death.
Last year, the DEA proposed a 20% reduction in the manufacturing of controlled substances for 2018 compared to 2017.
Anticonvulsant drugs are ineffective for chronic low back pain and can cause harm, despite a recent increase in prescribing.
New laws and regulations designed to limit the use of prescription narcotics may further constrain doctors' ability to treat patients.
A novel, innovative initiative is being developed to help end addiction over the long term.
Use of medications for opioid use disorder is associated with a reduction in all-cause and opioid-related mortality after opioid overdose.
The US Drug Enforcement Administration's 2014 ruling to reschedule hydrocodone combination products coincided with an increase in illicit trading of opioids through online illicit markets.
Nine online networks have been warned that they must stop illegally marketing potentially dangerous, and misbranded versions of opioid medications.
A recall of the opioid overdose antidote Naloxone was announced Monday.
A NDA has been submitted for NKTR-181, an opioid analgesic molecule designed to provide pain relief with fewer CNS-mediated side effects.
For older adults with chronic pain, psychological interventions have small benefits, including reducing pain and catastrophizing beliefs.
For individuals with chronic spinal pain, pain neuroscience education combined with cognition-targeted motor control training seems more effective than PT.
Higher education, illicit drug use, depression, and pain interference with normal work are significantly associated with opioid misuse.
State implementation of medical marijuana laws is associated with a reduction in the rate of opioid prescribing.
The study included 110,184 adults (mean age: 76 years) newly started on gabapentin therapy in Ontario, Canada.
The reasons for and against recommending acupuncture as pain treatment are discussed.
The odds of gabapentin overuse are significantly higher in patients who were co-prescribed opioids.
The FDA has approved ZTlido to relieve pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia.
Disposal of unused opioids after surgery is improved with an educational brochure.
The authors examined the demographic and geographic variation and the correlation between the local economic environment and measures of individual opioid prescriptions.
Chronic pain is common after traumatic brain injury.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Ajovy Injection Approved for Migraine Prevention in Adults
- Few With Acute Migraine Take Triptans, Many Discontinue the Drug
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- Magnesium Has No Effect on Cognitive Outcomes Following Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Incorporating Guidelines Into Clinical Practice: An Interview With Gary L. LeRoy, MD
- Combo Physical, Mental Activity Prevents Cognitive Decline
- Medicaid Expansion Linked to Gains in Insurance Coverage
- Folic Acid Supplementation May Protect Against Language Delay in AED-Exposed Children