Generic Name and Formulations:
Lidocaine 7%, tetracaine 7%; emulsion cream.
Indications for PLIAGLIS:
Local analgesia for superficial dermatological procedures (eg, dermal filler injection, pulsed dye laser therapy, facial laser resurfacing, laser-assisted tattoo removal).
Do not exceed recommended dose or duration. Apply to intact skin prior to procedure; spread evenly and thinly across treatment area using a metal spatula or tongue depressor. Dermal filler inj or facial laser ablation: apply for 20–30 mins. Laser-assisted tattoo removal: apply for 60 mins. Amount (length) to apply: see full labeling.
Avoid overexposure. History of congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia: not recommended. G6PD deficiency. Severe hepatic impairment. Pseudocholinesterase deficiency. Avoid contact with eyes, mucous membranes, or areas with a compromised skin barrier (eg, broken or inflamed). Risks of secondary exposure to children and pets; may be toxic. Acutely ill. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Topical anesthetic (amide-type + ester-type).
Toxicity may be potentiated by Class I antiarrhythmics (eg, tocainide, mexiletine); caution. Additive effects with other local anesthetics; consider the amount absorbed from all formulations. Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant methemoglobin-inducing agents (eg, sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, p- aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, and quinine).
Localized reactions (eg, erythema, skin discoloration, edema), allergic reactions (eg, urticaria, angioedema, bronchospasm, shock).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Ajovy Injection Approved for Migraine Prevention in Adults
- Few With Acute Migraine Take Triptans, Many Discontinue the Drug
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- Magnesium Has No Effect on Cognitive Outcomes Following Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Incorporating Guidelines Into Clinical Practice: An Interview With Gary L. LeRoy, MD
- Combo Physical, Mental Activity Prevents Cognitive Decline
- Medicaid Expansion Linked to Gains in Insurance Coverage
- Folic Acid Supplementation May Protect Against Language Delay in AED-Exposed Children