Polymyxin B Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Polymyxin B sulfate 500,000units/vial; pwd for IM, intrathecal inj, IV drip or ophthalmic use after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Polymyxin B Inj:
Susceptible infections due to P. aeruginosa including UTIs, meninges, bloodstream, and eye infections. Other serious susceptible infections including H. influenza meningeal, E. coli UTIs, and bacteremia due to A. aerogenes and K. pneumoniae.
Adults and Children:
Infants: up to 40,000units/kg per day IV or IM inj. Adults and children: IV: 15,000–25,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 12 hours; max 25,000units/kg per day. IM: 25,000–30,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 4–6 hours. P. aeruginosa meningitis: Give by intrathecal inj only. <2yrs: 20,000units once daily for 3–4 days or 25,000units once every other day, continue with 25,000units once every other day; >2yrs: 50,000units once daily for 3–4 days, then 50,000units once every other day; both: treat for at least 2 weeks after negative CSF cultures and sugar content normalized. Ophthalmic: see literature. Renal impairment: adjust or reduce dose.
Renal impairment. Monitor renal function before and during therapy; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Pregnancy: not recommended.
Avoid other neurotoxic and/or nephrotoxic drugs (eg, bacitracin, aminoglycosides, colistin). May potentiate neuromuscular blockade with anesthetics and/or muscle relaxants.
Nephrotoxicity (eg, albuminuria, azotemia, cylindruria), neurotoxicity (eg, flushing, dizziness, paresthesias), meningeal irritation (intrathecal), drug fever, rash, inj site pain, thrombophlebitis; respiratory paralysis (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Aerosporin.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd