Generic Name and Formulations:
Primaquine phosphate 26.3mg (equivalent to 15mg base); tabs.
Indications for PRIMAQUINE:
For the radical cure (prevention of relapse) of vivax malaria.
1 tab daily for 14 days.
Severe G6PD deficiency. Acutely ill patients suffering from systemic disease manifested by tendency to granulocytopenia (eg, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE). Concomitant hemolytic or bone marrow suppressive drugs, quinacrine. Pregnancy.
Perform G6PD testing prior to initiation. Mild-to-moderate G6PD deficiency or unknown G6PD status: assess risk vs. benefit; if considered, monitor hbg/hct at baseline, at Days 3 and 8 of therapy; have medical support available. Discontinue if signs of hemolytic anemia occur. History of favism. Perform routine CBCs during therapy; in those with history of hemolytic anemia or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) methemoglobin reductase deficiency; monitor closely. Risk for QT prolongation in cardiac disease, long QT syndrome, history of ventricular arrhythmias, uncorrected hypokalemia and/or hypomagnesemia, or bradycardia (<50bpm); monitor ECG. Elderly. Females of reproductive potential should exclude pregnancy prior to initiation and use effective contraception during and after stopping treatment until completion of on-going ovulatory cycle; males should use condoms during and for 3 months after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Caution with concomitant other drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, abdominal cramps, leukopenia, cardiac arrhythmia, dizziness, rash, pruritus.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Clarifying Cardiovascular Risk in Migraine
- More Evidence Supports Benefits of Cannabidiol for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Parkinson Disease Symptom Fluctuations Well-Managed With Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
- Monthly Erenumab Reduces Frequency of Episodic Migraine
- Female Gender, Natalizumab Exposure Associated With Increased Lymphopenia Risk in FNG-Treated MS
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Gait Difficulty in Parkinson Disease May Be Associated With More Progressive Disease Course
- Tau PET a Useful Biomarker for Alzheimer Disease Risk and Progression
- Multiple Sclerosis Drug Zinbryta Withdrawn From the Market
- Undifferentiated Headaches Common in Children, Adolescents
- Smoking Associated With Increased Relapse Rate in Interferon Beta-Treated Relapsing-Remitting MS
- Frontotemporal Dementia, Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration Symptoms More Common Later in Life
- No Reduction in Cerebral Perfusion With Intensive Blood Pressure Lowering
- Successful Delirium Prevention in Critically Ill With Dexmedetomidine