Probenecid + Colchicine Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Probenecid 500mg, colchicine 0.5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Probenecid + Colchicine:
Chronic gouty arthritis.
1 tab daily for 1 week, then 1 tab twice daily thereafter. Renal impairment, dose adjustments: see literature.
Acute gouty attack. Blood dyscrasias. Uric acid kidney stones. Children <2 yrs of age. Pregnancy. Concomitant salicylates (antagonizes uricosuric effect).
History of peptic ulcer. Spastic colon. GI, renal, hepatic, or hematological disorders. G6PD deficiency. Monitor blood counts in long-term therapy. Maintain adequate hydration. Alkalization of urine may be required. Debilitated. Elderly. Nursing mothers.
Affects renal clearance of many drugs (esp. penicillins). Potentiates methotrexate (monitor and reduce methotrexate dose). May potentiate thiopental, ketamine, NSAIDs, oral sulfonylureas, acetaminophen, lorazepam, rifampin, other sulfonamides. Pyrazinamide antagonizes uricosuric effect. May cause falsely high readings of theophylline levels, or false (+) RBC or hemoglobin in urine.
Uricosuric + antiinflammatory.
Headache, dizziness, GI upset, diarrhea, urinary frequency, sore gums, uric acid kidney stones, dermatitis, hematuria, renal colic, fever, peripheral neuritis, myopathy, anemia, blood dyscrasias, hemolytic anemia, purpura, bone marrow depression; rare: severe allergic reactions, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Colbenemid.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics