Probenecid + Colchicine Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Probenecid 500mg, colchicine 0.5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Probenecid + Colchicine:
Chronic gouty arthritis.
1 tab daily for 1 week, then 1 tab twice daily thereafter. Renal impairment, dose adjustments: see literature.
Acute gouty attack. Blood dyscrasias. Uric acid kidney stones. Children <2 yrs of age. Pregnancy. Concomitant salicylates (antagonizes uricosuric effect).
History of peptic ulcer. Spastic colon. GI, renal, hepatic, or hematological disorders. G6PD deficiency. Monitor blood counts in long-term therapy. Maintain adequate hydration. Alkalization of urine may be required. Debilitated. Elderly. Nursing mothers.
Uricosuric + antiinflammatory.
Affects renal clearance of many drugs (esp. penicillins). Potentiates methotrexate (monitor and reduce methotrexate dose). May potentiate thiopental, ketamine, NSAIDs, oral sulfonylureas, acetaminophen, lorazepam, rifampin, other sulfonamides. Pyrazinamide antagonizes uricosuric effect. May cause falsely high readings of theophylline levels, or false (+) RBC or hemoglobin in urine.
Headache, dizziness, GI upset, diarrhea, urinary frequency, sore gums, uric acid kidney stones, dermatitis, hematuria, renal colic, fever, peripheral neuritis, myopathy, anemia, blood dyscrasias, hemolytic anemia, purpura, bone marrow depression; rare: severe allergic reactions, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Colbenemid.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure