Promethazine HCl Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Promethazine HCl 12.5mg+, 25mg+, 50mg; tabs; +scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Promethazine HCl Tablets:
Motion sickness. Perioperative nausea & vomiting.
Motion sickness: 25mg 30–60mins before travel; may repeat in 8–12hrs; maintenance 25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg at 4–6hr intervals.
<2yrs: see Contraindications. Motion sickness: ≥2yrs: 12.5–25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 0.5mg/lb or 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg or 0.5mg/lb at 4–6hr intervals.
Children <2yrs. Dehydrated or ill children (esp. Reye's syndrome). History of sleep apnea. Asthma and lower respiratory disorders. Uncomplicated nausea in children.
Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Cardiovascular or liver disease. Seizure disorders. Peptic ulcer. Bone marrow depression. Elderly. Children ≥2yrs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with MAOIs. May alter hCG pregnancy test results.
Drowsiness, lowered seizure threshold, cholestatic jaundice, anticholinergic and extrapyramidal effects, photosensitivity, hypo- or hypertension, rash, blood dyscrasias, nausea, neonatal platelet abnormalities; children: respiratory depression (may be fatal).
Formerly known under the brand names Phenergan (tabs, supps); Promethacon (supps).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Optimizing Treatment for Patients With Chronic Sciatica: Gabapentin vs Pregabalin
- Tiglutik Now Available for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Modifiable CV Risk Factors Within Healthy Range Indicative of CV Morphology, White Matter Lesions
- A New Look at Demyelination and White Matter Density in Multiple Sclerosis
- Early Onset of Efficacy After Erenumab Treatment in Chronic and Episodic Migraines