Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl, hydrochlorothiazide; 40mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
- Reduced Stroke Risk With Blood Pressure, Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs
- Identifying Early Triggers, Symptoms of Vestibular Migraine
- Effect of Antihypertensives, Statins on Cognitive Decline Uncertain
- Combination Hypertension Treatments
- Hypertension Treatments: Diuretics
- Pharmacological Migraine Prophylaxis Guidelines
Indications for Propranolol/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Titrate individual components.
Asthma. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. CHF. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
Overt heart failure. Ischemic heart disease. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Bronchospasm, COPD. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Gout. Diabetes. Postsympathectomy. Hyperthyroidism. Monitor electrolytes. Surgery. SLE. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by alcohol, CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, antithyroid drugs, haloperidol, chlorpromazine, cimetidine. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. Antagonized by NSAIDs, barbiturates, rifampin, phenytoin. Potentiates antipyrine, lidocaine, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, theophylline. Adjust antidiabetic medication. May increase cardiac effects of calcium channel blockers, lidocaine, diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Amphotericin B, ACTH, corticosteroids increase hypokalemia risk. May interfere with parathyroid, glaucoma screening tests. May block epinephrine.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, GI upset, depression, skin reactions (eg, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria), photosensitivity, pharyngitis, agranulocytosis.
Formerly known under the brand name Inderide.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics