Pimavanserin is currently approved in the United States for the treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson's disease psychosis.
Memantine Plus Cholinesterase Inhibitors Improves Psychosis, Neurobehavioral Symptoms in Alzheimer DiseaseJuly 22, 2018
Investigators pooled data from patients from 3 phase 3, 24-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of MEM in patients with Alzheimer disease receiving concurrent ChEIs.
Cannabis use is associated with psychosis symptoms during adolescence.
Despite its short-term efficacy, pimavanserin provided no significant benefit in the overall cohort for improving psychotic symptoms at 12 weeks of treatment when compared with placebo.
Patients previously diagnosed with depression or anxiety did not have a greater risk of Alzheimer's.
Females with Alzheimer's disease, the APOE4 gene, and comorbid Lewy bodies were more likely to experience psychosis.
Psychological distress may cause changes within cells that trigger inflammation and oxidative stress, both of which are believed to increase stroke risk.
Studying cognition deficits during the clinical high risk period allows researchers to look at changes in the near psychotic state before chronicity and long-term medication use obscure the core deficits.
Patients taking levetiracetam should be monitored for AIPD.
The calculator is available freely online for use by clinicians.
This is the first study to examine the role of CSF biomarkers in the diagnosis of patients with cognitive symptoms and psychiatric disorders in routine daily clinical practice.
The drug is the first of its kind to address PD psychosis without having an ill effect on motor symptoms.
The need for an effective treatment appeared to sway panelists who expressed reservations about the safety and efficacy of pimavanserin.
The unique biotypes may allow for more targeted treatments to be developed.
If approved, Nuplazid will be the first treatment specifically designed to address PDP.
Girls with a history of a psychiatric condition, substance abuse, or ADHD were more likely to report concussion-like symptoms.
The personalized approach to treatment could help prevent trial-and-error periods.
The FDA's approval was based on data from controlled trials in adults with manic or mixed episodes of bipolar I disorder and schizophrenia.
Second-generation antipsychotics appear to have a neuroprotective effect on the brain.
If approved, Nuplazid will be the first drug approved to treat psychosis in Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease psychosis is underreported and is difficult to treat, but a new drug in late-stage development is a promising therapy.
Automated speech analysis more accurately classified at-risk young people than clinical ratings.
A three-month course of daily omega-3 supplements prevented the progression to a psychotic disorder in the majority of participants.
Those who converted to full illness showed pronounced thalamic dysconnectivity.
Despite guidelines that advise against co-prescribing of opioids and sedative hypnotics, rates did not decrease over a nine-year period.
Younger, female patients were most associated with psychotropic polypharmacy.
Patients with psychiatric disorders who received CBT for insomnia saw symptom of both conditions improve.
Antipsychotics significantly increase mortality rates for patients with Parkinson's disease.
Most of the increase has been among patients who have less serious illness.
MRI showed reduced connectivity in the right posterior parietal cortex in women with depression or bipolar disorder.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd