Quinidine gluconate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quinidine gluconate 324mg; ext-rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Quinidine gluconate:
Atrial and ventricular arrhythmias (see literature).
Take with fluid and in an upright position. Individualize. Prevention of premature atrial, nodal and ventricular contractions: 324–648mg every 8–12 hrs. Maintenance of sinus rhythm following cardioversion: 648mg every 12 hrs or 486–648mg every 8 hrs.
Complete AV or bundle branch block or other severe intraventricular conduction defects. Myasthenia gravis. Digitalis intoxication. Aberrant impulses, abnormal rhythms due to escape mechanisms.
Atrial flutter; digitalize first. Incomplete AV block. Heart failure. Marginally compensated cardiovascular disease. Hypotension. Renal and hepatic dysfunction. Monitor blood, liver and kidney function in long-term use. Monitor ECG and serum levels if dose is over 2.5g/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Quinidine toxicity increased by amiodarone, cimetidine, ranitidine, diuretics, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sodium bicarbonate, verapamil, diltiazem. Potentiates anticoagulants, anticholinergics, neuromuscular blocking agents, phenothiazines, reserpine, timolol. Increases digitalis serum levels. Quinidine levels decreased by barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, nifedipine.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart block, syncope, cinchonism, headache, blood dyscrasias, hypotension, flushing, allergic reactions, impaired hearing and vision, hepatic dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand names Duraquin, Quinact, Quinaglute.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- OnabotulinumtoxinA for Post-Stroke Spasticity: Treatment Strategies and Limitations
- Tau Associated With Loss of Anterior Temporal White Matter Integrity
- Location Probability Learning Unimpaired in Parkinson Disease
- Prenatal Tdap Vaccination Not Linked to Autism Risk
- AMA Adopts Policy to Advance Gender Equity in Medicine