Generic Name and Formulations:
Becaplermin 0.01%; gel; contains parabens, m-cresol.
Smith & Nephew, Inc.
Indications for REGRANEX:
Adjunct in the treatment of lower extremity diabetic neuropathic ulcers that extend into the subcutaneous tissue or beyond and have an adequate blood supply.
≥16yrs: Apply once daily until complete healing has occurred. Measure size of ulcer and adjust at 1–2 week intervals. Calculate amount of gel needed based on ulcer size and product tube size. Squeeze calculated length of gel from tube onto clean measuring surface (eg, wax paper). Spread gel over entire ulcer to thickness of about 1/16 inch. Cover with saline dressing for about 12 hrs. Remove dressing and rinse. Replace with clean saline dressing (no gel). Reevaluate if ulcer does not decrease in size by about 30% after 10 weeks, or if complete healing has not occurred after 20 weeks.
To calculate amount of gel in centimeters: If using the 15g tube: Length of gel (in cm) to be applied daily = wound area (length x width in cm2) ÷ 4. If using the 2g tube: Length of gel (in cm) to be applied daily = wound area (length x width in cm2) ÷ 2.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Neoplasm(s) at application site.
Increased rate of mortality secondary to malignancy.
Systemic malignancies (increased death rate with ≥3 tubes of becaplermin gel treatment). Not for use in wounds that close by primary intention. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd