Generic Name and Formulations:
Brinzolamide 1%, brimonidine tartrate 0.2%; oph susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for SIMBRINZA:
Reduction of elevated intraocular pressure in open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: contraindicated. ≥2yrs: 1 drop three times daily.
Neonates and infants <2yrs.
Sulfonamide allergy. Discontinue if serious systemic or hypersensitivity reactions occur. Increased risk of corneal edema in patients with low endothelium cell counts. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Hepatic impairment. Severe cardiovascular disease. Depression. Cerebral or coronary insufficiency. Raynaud’s phenomenon. Orthostatic hypotension. Thromboangitis obliterans. Acute angle-closure glaucoma. Remove soft contact lenses before use; may reinsert 15mins later. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor + alpha-2 agonist.
Concomitant oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitors: not recommended. Caution with antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides, tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs. Concomitant high-dose salicylate may produce acid-base and electrolyte alterations. May be potentiated by CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, opiates, barbiturates, sedatives, anesthetics). Separate administration of other oph drugs by ≥5 minutes.
Blurred vision, eye irritation, dysgeusia, dry mouth, eye allergy.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd