Generic Name and Formulations:
Metaxalone 800mg; scored tabs.
King Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SKELAXIN:
As adjunct treatment for acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions.
800mg 3–4 times daily.
≤12yrs: not established.
Anemias. Significant renal or hepatic dysfunction.
Renal or hepatic impairment (monitor LFTs). Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Muscle relaxant (central).
Increased risk of sedation, respiratory depression with concomitant other CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, benzodiazepines, opioids, TCAs); monitor closely. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, triptans, 5-HT3 antagonists, opioids, mirtazapine, trazodone, tramadol, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue); monitor and discontinue if suspected. Concomitant with food may enhance CNS depression. May cause false (+) Benedict's test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, headache, nervousness, GI upset, rash, jaundice, hemolytic anemia, leukopenia; hypersensitivity reactions.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd