Sleep alterations often precede cognitive and motor symptoms in PD and appear during the prodromal phase of the disease.
Among patients with obstructive sleep apnea, older age and reduced BMI are predictors of upper airway stimulation treatment response.
Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder is more common among men, as well as those with psychological distress, mental illness, or PTSD.
In the Phase 3 JET8 study (N=318), patients underwent a circadian challenge of 8 hours in advance to their usual bedtime.
Solriamfetol therapy, compared with placebo, results in improvements in wakefulness and sleepiness measures in patients with excessive sleepiness due to obstructive sleep apnea.
A team of authors performed a systematic review of studies examining anti-inflammatory treatments for pediatric OSA through June 28, 2018 using PubMed/MEDLINE and 4 other databases.
Participants in the RBD group had significantly worse performances on the Symbol Digit Modality Test compared with participants in the hyposmia and NMC cohorts.
Efficacy in the pediatric population with narcolepsy was demonstrated in the Phase 2/3 EXPRESS study (N=106) which included patients aged 7 to 17 years with narcolepsy with cataplexy.
The Company stated that they plan to begin a Phase 2 trial of AXS-12 before the end of 2018, with results anticipated for the first half of 2019.
For individuals with obstructive sleep apnea, those with short respiratory event duration have an increased risk for mortality.
The investigators found a significant reduction in the mean preimplantation apnea-hypopnea index at 6 months after hypoglossal nerve stimulation.
SUNRISE 2 is an ongoing long-term efficacy and safety study (N=900) of adults (aged 18 to 88 years) with insomnia disorder who have difficulty falling and/or staying asleep.
Digital CBT is effective in improving functional health, psychological well-being, and sleep-related quality of life in people reporting insomnia.
Investigators observed a significant association between atrial fibrillation and increasing oxygen desaturation index.
For high school students, sleeping less than eight hours on an average school night is associated with increased odds of selected unsafe behaviors.
More than one-quarter of older adults newly prescribed benzodiazepine by an non-psychiatric clinician transition to long-term use.
Existing data from the the UK Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD) and 3 clinical studies of PwD were used to evaluate the association between Z-drug administration and the incidence of adverse events.
Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with changes to the structure of the brain that are seen in the early stages of dementia.
Acute insomnia is common among good sleepers, and about three-quarters of those with AI recover good sleep.
Insomnia is common in older community-dwelling adults, but usually mild.
For this study, researchers identified 23 randomized controlled trials that included a total of 2806 adults with a primary diagnosis of insomnia to examine the relationship between antidepressant use and insomnia treatment.
Primary care management of obstructive sleep apnea is as effective and more cost-effective than in-laboratory diagnosis.
The assessment of psychiatric symptoms relied on only one question in the MDS-UPDRS, potentially leading to underestimation of these symptoms in this cohort.
Several prodromal symptoms in REM sleep behavior disorder are highly associated with conversion to neurodegenerative diseases.
Patients in the 2 highest dosing groups saw significant, sustained improvements over the 12-week study.
Neonatal caffeine therapy for apnea of prematurity has no detrimental long-term effects and even improves some neurologic measures.
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) remains the mainstay of medical treatment for OSA.
The combined analysis of the neurofunctional scales demonstrated an overall neurofunctional improvement with CPAP.
Comorbid disorders of depression, anxiety, PTSD, and insomnia are all associated with nightmares.
Female OSA patients had multiple regions of reduced cortical thickness in superior frontal lobe.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Survival in Parkinson Disease Dependent on Parkinsonian Type, Characteristics
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Mobile Health Apps for Headache: An Ongoing Search for Clinical Relevancy
- Behavioral Therapies May Treat Headache and Post-Concussive Symptoms
- CBD Superior to Placebo, Similar to AEDs for Managing Epilepsy Syndromes
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Hematology Indicates Need for Thrombophilia Test in Children With Migraines
- Increased Stroke Risk Following Surgical vs Transfemoral Aortic Valve Replacement
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Cerebellar Stimulation May Help Improve Gait and Balance Recovery in Stroke
- Increased Dementia Risk in Older Adults With Down Syndrome
- Psychotherapy May Reduce Frequency of Nonepileptic Seizures
- Should CHA2DS2-VASc Be Reassessed More Frequently to Improve Stroke Prevention in Afib?