Generic Name and Formulations:
Nateglinide 60mg, 120mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for STARLIX:
Adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
Take 1–30mins before meals; skip dose if meal is skipped. 120mg 3 times daily. If near glycemic goal, initially 60mg 3 times daily.
Increased risk of hypoglycemia with changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic impairment: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Reduced symptomatic awareness of hypoglycemia in longstanding diabetes, diabetic nerve disease, or recurrent hypoglycemia. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased hypoglycemia with concomitant other antidiabetic agents, NSAIDs, salicylates, MAOIs, non-selective β-blockers, anabolic hormones, guanethidine, and CYP2C9 inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, fluconazole, voriconazole, sulfinpyrazone), alcohol; may need dose reduction and monitor. May be antagonized by thiazides, corticosteroids, thyroid products, sympathomimetics, somatropin, somatostatin analogs (eg, lanreotide, octreotide), and CYP inducers (eg, rifampin, phenytoin, St John's Wort); may need dose increase and monitor. β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may mask hypoglycemia.
Upper RTI, back pain, flu symptoms, dizziness, arthropathy, diarrhea; hypoglycemia, weight gain.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA Fast-Tracks Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics