Even with thorough testing, declaring a patent foramen ovale as the most likely culprit responsible for a cryptogenic stroke remains a challenge.
Several randomized controlled trials are underway to confirm the safety and efficacy of early vs late initiation of direct oral anticoagulants in ischemic stroke associated with atrial fibrillation.
Investigators examined whether cerebellar magnetic stimulation can improve balance and gait in patients with hemiparesis after ischemic stroke.
These results suggest that CHA2DS2-VASc scores should be continually reassessed, perhaps annually, in patients with atrial fibrillation.
Investigators recommend more training for emergency physicians and emergency department personnel to treat patients with stroke quickly and efficiently once the acute ischemic stroke protocol has been created.
Researchers evaluated stroke risk and its effect on quality of life after surgical aortic valve replacement vs transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve.
The subtype of stroke had similar effects in multiple health domains, while patients with transient ischemic attack (TIA) had worse adjusted outcomes, suggesting that the mechanisms for outcomes after TIA may differ from those of other cerebrovascular events.
Patients with hypertension with progression of periventricular white matter hyperintensities have an increased risk for incident mild cognitive impairment.
In this randomized controlled trial of IV alteplase for ischemic stroke, researchers evaluated CT or brain MRI scans before treatment and 24 to 48 hours after treatment for acute lesion visibility, extent, and swelling.
Investigators examined the effect of common infections such as urinary tract infections, sepsis, and pneumonia on >300,000 patients with ischemic stroke.
Investigators examined whether very early mobilization, started ≤48 hours after onset of stroke symptoms, improves recovery and survival after stroke compared with more delayed mobilization.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Seizure Monitoring Smartwatch Cleared for Use in Children
- Steps to Facilitate Rapid Reperfusion to Improve Poststroke Outcomes
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Cerebellar Stimulation May Help Improve Gait and Balance Recovery in Stroke
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Breakdown of Blood-Brain Barrier May Drive Dementia
- FDA: Food Inspections to Resume Despite Ongoing Funding Lapse
- First Generic Version of Sabril Tablets Gets FDA Approval
- Supine Positioning After Greater Occipital Nerve Block May Improve Outcomes