Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfadiazine 500mg; tabs.
Indications for Sulfadiazine:
Susceptible infections including chancroid, trachoma, inclusion conjunctivitis, nocardiosis, UTI (secondary therapy), toxoplasmosis encephalitis, meningococcal meningitis, acute otitis media, rheumatic fever.
Initially 2–4g. Maintenance: 2–4g divided into 3–6 doses every 24 hours.
<2 months: see Contraindications. ≥2months: Initially ½ the 24-hour dose. Maintenance: 150mg/kg divided into 4–6 doses every 24 hours, max 6g/24hrs. Rheumatic fever prophylaxis: <30kg: 500mg every 24 hours; >30kg: 1g every 24 hours.
Infants <2 months of age (except as adjunctive therapy with pyrimethamine in the treatment of congenital toxoplasmosis). Pregnancy at term. Nursing mothers.
Do not use to treat group A betahemolytic streptococcal infections. Renal or hepatic impairment. Bronchial asthma. Severe allergy. G6PD deficiency. Maintain adequate hydration. Obtain CBCs and urinalyses frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
May be potentiated by indomethacin, probenecid, salicylates. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, methotrexate, sulfonylureas, thiazide diuretics, uricosuric agents.
Blood dyscrasias, allergic reactions, GI upset, hepatitis, pancreatitis, stomatitis, headache, peripheral neuritis, depression, convulsions, ataxia, hallucinations, tinnitus, vertigo, insomnia, crystalluria, stone formation, toxic nephrosis, oliguria, anuria; rare: goiter production, diuresis, hypoglycemia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd