Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfadiazine 500mg; tabs.
Indications for Sulfadiazine:
Susceptible infections including chancroid, trachoma, inclusion conjunctivitis, nocardiosis, UTI (secondary therapy), toxoplasmosis encephalitis, meningococcal meningitis, acute otitis media, rheumatic fever.
Initially 2–4g. Maintenance: 2–4g divided into 3–6 doses every 24 hours.
<2 months: see Contraindications. ≥2months: Initially ½ the 24-hour dose. Maintenance: 150mg/kg divided into 4–6 doses every 24 hours, max 6g/24hrs. Rheumatic fever prophylaxis: <30kg: 500mg every 24 hours; >30kg: 1g every 24 hours.
Infants <2 months of age (except as adjunctive therapy with pyrimethamine in the treatment of congenital toxoplasmosis). Pregnancy at term. Nursing mothers.
Do not use to treat group A betahemolytic streptococcal infections. Renal or hepatic impairment. Bronchial asthma. Severe allergy. G6PD deficiency. Maintain adequate hydration. Obtain CBCs and urinalyses frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
May be potentiated by indomethacin, probenecid, salicylates. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, methotrexate, sulfonylureas, thiazide diuretics, uricosuric agents.
Blood dyscrasias, allergic reactions, GI upset, hepatitis, pancreatitis, stomatitis, headache, peripheral neuritis, depression, convulsions, ataxia, hallucinations, tinnitus, vertigo, insomnia, crystalluria, stone formation, toxic nephrosis, oliguria, anuria; rare: goiter production, diuresis, hypoglycemia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Seizure Monitoring Smartwatch Cleared for Use in Children
- Steps to Facilitate Rapid Reperfusion to Improve Poststroke Outcomes
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Cerebellar Stimulation May Help Improve Gait and Balance Recovery in Stroke
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Breakdown of Blood-Brain Barrier May Drive Dementia
- FDA: Food Inspections to Resume Despite Ongoing Funding Lapse
- First Generic Version of Sabril Tablets Gets FDA Approval
- Supine Positioning After Greater Occipital Nerve Block May Improve Outcomes