Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulindac 150mg, 200mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Sulindac:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis. Ankylosing spondylitis. Acute painful shoulder. Acute gouty arthritis.
Take with food. 150mg twice daily. Acute painful shoulder or gouty arthritis: 200mg twice daily, usually for 7–14 days. All: max 400mg/day.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Active or history of GI bleeding, peptic ulcer, or kidney stones. Heart failure. Impaired renal or hepatic function. Edema. Hypertension. Bleeding disorders. Sepsis. Diabetes. Preexisting asthma. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor blood, hepatic, renal, and ocular function in chronic use. Discontinue if unexplained fever, pancreatitis, or liver dysfunction occurs. Systemic lupus erythematosus and mixed connective tissue disease. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C); avoid in late pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
NSAID (indene deriv.).
Increased risk of GI toxicity with aspirin, other NSAIDs, alcohol, smoking. Probenecid increases serum levels. Diflunisal reduces serum levels. Antagonized by, and peripheral neuropathy with, DMSO. Monitor anticoagulants, antihyperglycemics. Caution with methotrexate, cyclosporine, nephrotoxic drugs (increased toxicity). Increased serum lithium levels (monitor). May antagonize diuretics, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II antagonists (monitor).
GI ulcer/bleeding/pain, dyspepsia, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), dizziness, headache, tinnitus, edema, nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, pancreatitis, jaundice, hepatitis. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand name Clinoril.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Serious Adverse Events Profile for Cladribine Confirmed With Extended Data
- Unintended Pregnancy Common in Women With Epilepsy
- Aggressive Blood Pressure Lowering in Intracerebral Hemorrhage May Be Harmful
- Risk of Opioid-Benzodiazepine Overlap Up for Dual Prescribing
- Minority Residents Experience Burdens Linked to Race/Ethnicity
- Tips Provided for Budgeting in Medical Residency