Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulindac 150mg, 200mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Sulindac:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis. Ankylosing spondylitis. Acute painful shoulder. Acute gouty arthritis.
Take with food. 150mg twice daily. Acute painful shoulder or gouty arthritis: 200mg twice daily, usually for 7–14 days. All: max 400mg/day.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Active or history of GI bleeding, peptic ulcer, or kidney stones. Heart failure. Impaired renal or hepatic function. Edema. Hypertension. Bleeding disorders. Sepsis. Diabetes. Preexisting asthma. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor blood, hepatic, renal, and ocular function in chronic use. Discontinue if unexplained fever, pancreatitis, or liver dysfunction occurs. Systemic lupus erythematosus and mixed connective tissue disease. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C); avoid in late pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of GI toxicity with aspirin, other NSAIDs, alcohol, smoking. Probenecid increases serum levels. Diflunisal reduces serum levels. Antagonized by, and peripheral neuropathy with, DMSO. Monitor anticoagulants, antihyperglycemics. Caution with methotrexate, cyclosporine, nephrotoxic drugs (increased toxicity). Increased serum lithium levels (monitor). May antagonize diuretics, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II antagonists (monitor).
NSAID (indene deriv.).
GI ulcer/bleeding/pain, dyspepsia, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), dizziness, headache, tinnitus, edema, nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, pancreatitis, jaundice, hepatitis. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand name Clinoril.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA Fast-Tracks Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics